I’ve not appreciated what the families of the President go through even after office until the Secret Service showed up at the hospital I work at inquiring as to the number of units we had of a particular blood type. Former First Lady Laura Bush was in the Shoals this Saturday for an event. Even though they are back to their private lives, their life is still very much public and never really safe. I hope she had a great time experiencing our Southern hospitality while in town. I have a daylily called ‘First Lady Barbara’ that I’ve offered for the Presidential Library, but haven’t been taken up on the offer yet.
I had a stray lab mix show up at the house Friday. She had no collar, was thirsty but not hungry. She made herself at home and seemed to know where feeding time was. She kept running under my feet and Patches and Blackie kept attacking her, so she went to the Colbert shelter this Saturday morning. If anyone needs a very sweet dog, she’ll make a good dog for you. While loading the crate for transporting her, I noticed a Carolina wren had built a nest in a bluebird box waiting for repair after I got too close to the pole with the finishing mower and popped it off of the pole.
I spent the rest of the day digging up, dividing and transplanting daylilies. I missed my shovel later and was glad it has a fiberglass handle instead of wood. Fiberglass is lighter plus I found that it survives being run over by a compact John Deere. Daylilies should be divided every 3 to 4 yrs and transplanted. I decided to move some China Lake Daylilies from an area that was getting too much shade due to the growth of a weeping peach tree nearby to my UNA area. I will put some White Christmas hosta in it’s place. Another daylily I moved next to it is a bright yellow one called Forty Carats. Both are in the colors of U of North Alabama purple, gold and white. As you can see my tractors scoop comes in handy as a potting bench. Smaller clumps can be separated into individual plants by hand. Larger clumps I have two large screwdrivers that I use to separate. Trim the leaves on each plant to about 5-6 inches in length. You want the plant to send energy to developing a new root system instead of sustaining vegetation that will later be killed by frost anyway.
I hauled some composted sawdust and manure to amend my beds and keep it from compacting later. Any plants do better with organic matter added to clay soil of the south. Dig an area out and build a hill in the center as shown in the picture. Spread out the roots over the hill and cover with soil. I put mine about a foot apart to help shade out weeds next year hopefully. Mulch the whole bed when finish planting. Darkness fell before I was able to do the mulching. It was too windy to get newspaper down anyway due to a nearby thunderstorm.
The hooligans were busy chasing a squirrel that kept coming into the front yard and making a wide circle and running back to the dry creek. Blackie kept running around a 10 gallon container that I was using to put weeding by products into. I tilted it so that she could look inside and she dug down to the bottom I was worried that it was a lizard that I wanted to save, so I dumped it. Another field mouse has gone to the here after. Patches is having some sort of love/hate thing with the little foal next door. The filly just stands and stares at Patches while Patches barks at her. One of my hand tools, a small mattock has been AWOL for a week or so, I finally found it while taking a picture of a swallowtail on a Chaste bush. I spray painted the handles (except this one) a bright orange so that I can find them if they are missing.