I had planned to talk about clematis today, but since I had a mishap with one of my Liliums called Robert Swanson I decided to go there today.
Last Tuesday the hospital census was down, and temps were forecasted in the high 60’s to low 70’s instead of the 100’s that I had the last off day, so I played hooky with permission. With the cool weather, the mice are trying to find hibernation spots, so my traps I have at a ninety degree angle to the base boards and Blackie have been busy. I had several scattered beds of an iris called Exotic Isle that I got into one large bed. I’m on my hands and knees weeding an area next to iris already in the bed when my hands were pounced on by Blackie chasing after a mouse. I thought for a moment I might need to go in and change clothes.
All three hooligans hair looks like they’ve been glued and they look worse each day. I bought several loads of sawdust from Walker Lumber and several loads were from fairly fresh lumber. Each day they play king of the hill on the piles and just roll each other in the sawdust picking up pine sap and then dirt. They almost look tarred and feathered.
I dug up a large hill of Lavender Blue Baby daylily for dividing and putting in my University of N Alabama area, Abstract Art, and Prairie Blue Eyes for planting elsewhere. Yesterday I separated them into individual plants using two large screwdrivers which make the division work easier.
I have several lilies that for some reason didn’t come up this year. Thinking they were dead, I’ve been finding the bulb either in a dormant condition of just starting to sprout. The area that I had planted the Robert Swanson needed some organic matter and sand worked in as the plant grew poorly last year. After work today I dug up the bed and in the area of the lily I found some small baby bulbs. Thinking Moma was gone I added compost and sand and started some serious digging. As luck would have it, my first shovel full came up with half of the mother bulb. Since new plants are started from the individual leaves of the bulb, I planted both halves and the babies back in the area after digging in the sand & compost well. I like to bury my lilies about 5- 6 inches deep and mulch with the same amount of depth. Most lilies get to be about 3 to 6 feet tall, growing taller each year with a longer bloom stem. So they need a lot of room in full sun and a well drained area. There are a few new lilies on the market such as ‘Tiny Ghost’ which gets around 12-13 inches, Elodie and Strawberry & Cream which get less than 2 feet tall.
After getting into a fire ant nest and being attacked by mosquitoes, I decided to call it an afternoon. Tomorrow I’ll get the daylilies back into the ground. Before retiring I changed out my hummingbird feeder on the back of the house with a clean one. I haven’t seen any hummingbirds in about 10 days. When I went out in the garage to give the hooligans their biscuit and close the doors down, I noticed a hummer flying along the ceiling unable to get out. Ten minutes later I have the bird in the hand.
Pictures today are several of my Asiatic, Oriental, Orienpet, and Tango lilies and the bird in the hand.